Workplace Mediation Process
Engagement and frame of reference
To start, we need to hear about the conflict from a high-level perspective to gain an understanding of who is involved and how the conflict is manifesting. We also discuss options for next steps in terms of the mediation process and reporting outcomes from mediation.
Intake session and coaching
We begin the formal mediation process by interviewing each of the people involved in the conflict. The intake interviews are confidential and provide opportunity for people to offer their perspective on the issues in conflict. At Fresh Start, we incorporate elements of the Cinergy conflict coaching & management model into our intake sessions, so that people involved can begin to reflect on theirs and the other parties’ experience of the conflict.
Mediation (or facilitated discussion)
- Once all parties have been interviewed, a time is set for mediation (or a facilitated discussion, as it is sometimes informally referred to). Depending on the people and issues involved, a mediation session may range from 3-5 hours) and follows a general framework of:
- Opening summary and introduction: all participants are provided with opportunity to give short summary of what they are hoping to discuss in the session and what they are hoping to achieve
- Identify topic / issues for discussion: the mediator will work with the parties to establish an agenda for the session. This may have been provided to the parties prior to commencement of the session.
- Exploration of issues: with support and guidance from the mediator the participants are encouraged and supported to explore the issues between them in a confidential and safe environment with the aim of gaining mutual insight and understanding into one another’s perspectives and experience.
- Discussion of options and solutions for the future: with participants now having insight into the issues on the table, the mediator facilitates discussion and brainstorming of options and solutions for moving forward. This may include establishing an agreed-to action plan and milestones for measuring progress or success.
Reporting, re-engagement, review
The mediator will provide details of outcomes and the agreed-to action plan as discussed and consented to by parties in the mediation. Where appropriate, the mediator may be re engaged to undertake a review of progress with participants within an agreed timeframe in line with identified milestones for measurement.